Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Soundtrack to My Life

Music is constantly running through my head (probably because I have my iPod hooked up a majority of the time…). Songs trigger memories like nothing else for me. The song Cecilia makes me think of my first car…a 1989 white Ford Escort hatchback. One of my friends would roll down (hand roll, this thing didn’t have power anything…except seatbelts (smart parents)) the windows, hang her head out, and bang on the side of the car while she loudly sang the words to the song – because, she said, that was the name of my car…even now that memory makes me laugh. The song Rambling Man makes me think of Beta Convention in high school. For some reason I can picture my friends sitting in the stands in the coliseum where the convention was held. We’re playing with a tennis ball and singing along to the song and laughing and being silly teenage girls. The song comes on and I think of my girlfriends and remember what a fun childhood I had. Dixieland Delight makes me think of college…it was the fraternity next door’s theme song of sorts…I learned it my freshman year and now that song makes me think of those guys and the parties I used to go to with them. Good memories.

I can also take almost any lyrics and relate them to my life. “Say what you need to say”….I don’t hold anything in. I think I need to let people know how I’m feeling…either about them or a situation or whatever. I don’t want to ever regret NOT saying something to someone I care about. People need to know how you feel. I like knowing how other people feel about me (well the nice/good thoughts anyway)… “I’d rather hurt than feel nothing at all”…what do they say, “it’s better to have love and lost than to never have loved at all…”? Agreed. At least you know love exists…that there’s hope for the future. If you find love once, surely you can find it again? And even if you don’t find it again (still, find that extremely hard to believe), you did get to feel that feeling once.

I guess I’m a romantic – a lot of my favorite lyrics relate to love or the idea of love…”I fall so hard at the idea of you…”, “it’s not where but who you’re with that really matters”…I really believe that I can be anywhere as long as I’m with people I care about. After all it is “one sweet world…” and “Girls just wanna have fun”, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment